Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Pictures!


Last year's birthday present - Impossibly smart, stubborn, insane... She climbs trees if her frisbee gets stuck. She washes the frisbee in the kiddie pool if it gets muddy. She sits on the deep freezer staring longingly at the frisbee which is WAY UP on the top shelf, near the ceiling so she can't reach it. She's crazy about chickens (not in a good way). The husky in her makes her very vocal, so often, when I tell her she needs to wait to go outside, she very definitely yells NO! She can jump a six foot fence. She picks up anything I drop and gives it back. She steals things off the kitchen counter and brings them to me because she thinks she's being a good girl. She owns all the toys. The other dogs are sometimes allowed to play with them, but NEVER the frisbee. She understands that "One more throw" means only one more and then it's time to wash the frisbee and go inside. She does not understand "Don't eat the chicken feed you crazy bitch!" Yesterday, she noticed a moose walking by the garden and did not chase it. She growled. And growled. And growled some more. And when it was safely into the woods again, she barked. Loudly. At first growl, I thought it was a damn bear. We don't often get to see  moose and it's more often to be a bear in the yard. So she didn't chase the moose, but God help any innocent bunnies that hop by... She's after them soon as they're spotted. She peels tiles off the floor in my office... as you can see from the pic below.


The Christmas pup. She's not impressed that I woke her up for a picture. She looks like a Golden Retriever, but she's nowhere near the size of one. She's lazy, clumsy, not too bright, and I love her to death.  


Goat family. 2 sisters and their baby boys. The two boys belong to only one mama as the other one lost her baby, but I guess they didn't want to share the milk so one adopted the other mama.


See how tall the asparagus is? There's 8 of them in this bed. 


The chickens didn't get ALL the strawberries. Some of them survived and are looking pretty good.


Two of the ducks. The white one is a female and the duck not pictured here is sitting on a nest. I believe they're taking turns on it.
Little Silkie hen.


Original Mama Hen that hatched 7 chicks last year and is a talented escape artist.

 

One of Mama's chicks from last year. This is the lady that hatched 5 this year, lost one and all of her remaining eggs disappeared. 
The lady's rooster man.
Beep Beep! As you can see, she's missing a few (a lot) of feathers on her back. She was getting picked on in the bigger coop, moved in with the goats, but I didn't like her wandering the property unattended, so we moved her to a new coop with the broody bunch pictured above.



Dead tree in the foreground... I HATE ivy! This was a beautiful tree 5 years ago. See the blue tarp on the ground by the garden? That's covering ivy. I've had to plant in tires and there'll be pots and bags being added as I finish up the planted.


Yesterday was busy!! We finished planting in the garden pictured above. I mowed about half the property but then the wheel fell off the mower. We tilled another small garden bed on the other side of property. Put up the fence around the garden to keep the dogs out. Picked up a ton of garbage laying around. As you can see from the last pic, there's still a lot of junk bits and pieces of wood and other assorted things waiting for me. 

Planting is almost done. We've got green and yellow beans, peas, beets, onions, broccoli, broccolini, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, cucamelons, honeydew melons, eggplant, zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkins, and ground cherries planted. I think the only thing left is potatoes and then some pots of extra tomatoes and cucumbers. Maybe some extra peas as well because the whole plant is good to feed the critters and I've got no shortage of peas, AND they cheap!

Gotta finish mowing, till for potatoes, move garbage wood to the pit for burning...  

I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a child and dreamed of heaven, a place just like yours was what I saw. Sheer heaven! Now I'll take my pleasure from it in pictures and hearing about it. The work involved is more than I would want to tackle. No cats? I would have to throw in a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PK - I grew up dreaming of farms and horses! I don't have the horses anymore :( And an acre is not much of a farm. But it's mine. The work, well, it's not too bad unless I start slacking (which I do). I've got it set up so I can take care of the critters in about 15 minutes. I'm starting to really feel my age so I'm always adjusting to keep it running by itself mostly.
    And cats... there are three of them. I just have to get them to consent to having their pictures taken.

    ReplyDelete

Still alive

 Just dropping in to say I'm still alive. Busy, as usual. I have some odd plans cooking up in my brain. When/if I have time, perhaps I&#...