Monday, May 2, 2022

On Fire!

 I think my brain is on fire. But not in a good way. I haven't suddenly figured out the secret to life or anything like that. I think my brain is just burning up. It's going to look like the remains of last year's campfire soon. 

Once upon a time, I would have run circles around learning something new. I used to have a sort of natural talent for just digging into a new program and playing around and in a few hours I'd know my way around pretty good. Well, those days are gone. 

Let's start with just some simple blogging woes. I can't get my widgets to work. This thing refuses to show the blogs I follow. It just won't. Also, most times when I leave a comment, it forces me to post anonymously. Why?? Is this because I deleted my last blog? Is the site angry with me or something? *sigh*  

I used to google my issues, find the answer, and fix. I once spent a full day on trying to set up a Minecraft server for the kids after they'd all given up. I just kept at it, and at it, digging around online, tried everything under the sun. I have no idea or understanding of what actually worked, or why, but I did get it going. 

I'm obstinate. I hate admitting defeat so I don't.

BUT... I am almost ready to admit defeat this time. I'm working my way through a proofreading, editing course. I don't need the course, I just want the guarantee of work when I'm finished. Flying along, doing fine, doing fine. Of course I am. It's pretty much what I already do as a transcriptionist. I edit. I proofread, I grade, and I'm good at it. And then I stumbled into MS Word with this course. A long, long time ago, I knew how to use this. Apparently, my brain is no longer a sponge that soaks up new learning. I know the basics, of course, but using Word capabilities for proofreading is a whole new ballgame for me. I'm finding that keeping track of three different copies of a document is next to impossible... for me. Following step-by-step instructions and I confuse myself. I'm going to need a big poster on the wall detailing those steps to get through the exam.

I *know* it's just a matter of practice. Of doing it over and over again until I know the steps without having to think about it. But the slowness is killing me. I'm not used to needing more than a day to learn a few steps. I'm frustrated and impatient with myself.

I'd rather go read some blogs. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Penelope,

    I know others have had trouble posting comments. Your comment on my brunch post had your Google / Blogger mane linked to it, so I'm guessing it works some times. It might be helpful to try a different browser, and make sure you are logged on to Google first.

    About your question on following, I don't see any widgets on your blog for followers or for a bloglist. Did you delete them?

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I just found the blog list. You need to go into Layout, edit the Blog List widget, and add the link of each blog. It doesn't happen automatically when you 'follow'..

      Delete
  2. Hermione, oh, my gosh, you're a lifesaver! My blog list is now showing. I gave myself such a headache trying to figure it out. I don't know how I missed doing the obvious here. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet that's it. You need to get yourself a laptop or iPad that's strictly for your use only.

    Strange that when you left a comment on my blog it was from Penelope, not anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment thingy seemed to be of a different format than others. Or maybe I'm literally just losing my mind. And what do you mean "strictly for my use"? I'm not sure the kids would allow it LOL.

    Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, problem solved. I'm an idiot. I just opened a different browser than the one I normally use (Chrome) so no one will accidentally stumble onto things they shouldn't read. And we're about to find out if it lets me publish as myself. Thanks so much for the help, Hermione!

    ReplyDelete

Still alive

 Just dropping in to say I'm still alive. Busy, as usual. I have some odd plans cooking up in my brain. When/if I have time, perhaps I&#...