Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Another long day


 Was it ever hot yesterday! I was really dragging my feet when it came to moving about and getting anything done. But we did get moving and we did get some stuff done. Not the rest of the planting like I had planned. I just didn't have it in me. So we continued to clean up garbage. And then I suddenly decided I wanted a fenced area around the fire so when we decide to cook and eat out we can enjoy it and not be constantly watching and calling for dogs. With 6 of them, that's a lot of checking up. But also, I can now go sit down outside on a nice day, read a book, and not have to wonder if the dogs are in the compost or the coop, or have run out into the highway. I lost one of my dogs like that last year and don't want to repeat that.


Now, keep in mind that we are broke people. We paid this house off in 5 years, there's been periods of time between jobs, vehicles needed to be replaced, and just bad luck, and yes, a few stupid decisions. All that adds up to a pretty depleted bank account at times. So we do what we do with free stuff (junk). It doesn't always come out the prettiest of looks, but around here the motto is "Functional, not pretty."

Sooo... After we'd gathered another pile of garbage ready for garbage day next week, and Garf had extended my garden hoses another 15 feet or so, and found a nice spot to hang them so all four hoses could reach where they need to... I said, "How about a fence? Do we have enough pallets?" Garf grabbed the kids and off they went to bring home some more. I now have an enclosed area. Maybe not so pretty, but it's functional. The dogs stayed put. My crazy girl can jump that no problem, but as long as we're both on the same side she'll stay. The smaller doggies are stuck.


Burning up the wood scraps from five years of building, tearing down, building again.


The very last piece of wood. It's finally down. Yesterday morning there was a pile of junk pallets and other assorted goodies. That little chunk of wood is the last one. 


We've got rain coming the next couple of days. We got a great deal on bananas the other day at 47 cents a pound. Garf bought 40 pounds. I told the kids to eat what they could before they were too ripe and now it's time to make banana bread. 

I haven't gotten pictures yet of the ducklings, chicks, cats, pear tree, cherry tree, or grape vine. Maybe when the rain goes away. I just don't normally have my phone with me outside when we're working and taking pictures is a special trip which I don't often have the energy for. 


Well, that's one cat lol. She's about 10 years old and an amazing weasel killer. She was a feral kitty once upon a time and then she became a reluctant pet. She doesn't spend as much time outdoors as she used to. I don't know who's going to keep the mice and weasel population down when she retires. We got two boys as well, but one is scared of his own shadow and won't even look outside. The other is a straight up indiscriminate bird killer. I'm not his biggest fans. He's killed blue jays and humming birds for no other reason than he's a cat and that's what he does. The girl pictured has only ever brought mice and weasels. She knows what her job is. 

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your cat signing off on the picture. My daughter uses an invisible fence for her dogs. I like it cause she can bring it over here when I babysit. The road always scares me.

    You guys have done a great job on the fence and I think it looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PK - I'm okay with the fence I think. It's not supposed to be fancy, right? :) Got lucky with the cat allowing the picture. She usually walks away.
    The road terrifies me. It's not just a road, it's a major highway. Usually the dogs stay near me, but there is the odd time when I'm just not paying attention. There's only been the one that ran out, but it was one too many.

    ReplyDelete

Still alive

 Just dropping in to say I'm still alive. Busy, as usual. I have some odd plans cooking up in my brain. When/if I have time, perhaps I&#...